“Hey, in 2010 let’s be strategic with our web analytics. Let’s not get lost in the tactical weeds”
OK, so what’s a web analytics strategy vs. tactic then?
- The web analytics solution that you use is a tactic. The strategy is in the reports that you run.
- The reports that you run are a tactic. The strategy is to start with your key performance indicators (KPIs)
- The KPIs are a tactic. The strategy is to equip, free up, and incentivize your web analytics team so that they will focus on value generating analytics vs. lolligagging or answering to never ending reporting requests
- The web analytics team and incentives are a tactic. The strategy is to compete on analytics
- Competing on analytics is a tactic. The strategy is to treat your customers well
- Treating your customers well is a tactic. The strategy is to increase their lifetime value to your company
- Your company is a tactic. The strategy is to have a happy, healthy, peaceful 2010
Some people wield the words “strategy vs. tactic” as if they were swinging a sword and being profound. Yet they mean not much more than “left vs. right”.
No matter where you stand, there is always something to your left and always something to your right.
So, … maybe the strategy is to hug both of them, the strategy and the tactics.